Re: Contractor web services authentication application

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Cassidy James <c@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah there was some discussion of this in the other mail... it'd be really
> nice to plug into the GNOME Online Accounts and use authentication through
> that, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Another idea is to have a
> separate "Sharing" plug or something. Yet another idea would be having each
> Contract handle it on first-share and then just provide a logout option
> somehow.

My idea was this way:
There are a set of official contracts - twitter, facebook, G+, flickr
etc. There can be unofficial ones, but that is out of scope.

The official ones will have a well known API which other applications
can use to share. If an application shows "Share on twitter" then it
will use the "Twitter contract api" to share it. The API will tell
that the user is not authenticated, then there itself the app should
allow opening a window to authenticate and go ahead with sharing. Once
authenticated even at application level, the API should store the
authentication.

The backend of the contract is hidden from the user. He does not need
to care about it. Most of the contracts can use libgwibber which is a
library separated out of gwibber (done mostly by Ken VanDine).

After having a look - gwibber has two libraries powering it -
libgwibber and libgwibber-gtk. libgwibber is the backend for the
services and libgwibber-gtk contains the widgets. Both the libs have
vapi file, so no more messing around with C->Vala.

I do support having a separate plug for maintaining online
applications. You can use GNOME's online accounts but its development
looks slow (though I can be wrong).

> I'm not really sure if the best approach and it's definitely something that
> needs figured out.

I provided the information above. Think about it. :)

-
Manish