Re: About Dialog

On 29.05.2012 21:34, Daniel Foré wrote:
> I don't disagree with your 1st point. I really dislike the dual
> .desktop thing Midori is currently doing and having root shortcuts is
> probably a good work-around while we don't implement policy kit (which
> is probably the proper way to do it.)
>
> I do disagree with the second point though. I'm not sure there's a
> real big distinction between opening up the app in a certain way (as
> root) and opening to a certain place (about, prefs, certain plug in
> Switchboard).
>
> The dock shouldn't be hidden by default (except possibly when a window
> is maximized. We still have to test that).
>
> But really, I think the real target of the About dialog is developers
> and support techs, not users. So I'm not sure we really need it to be
> discoverable. The only people who want to use it are people who know
> it exists.

I disagree with the 1st point because I agree with the 2nd point.

Even though I know how quicklists work and even implemented some, they
are virtually non-existant for me as a user. If I use a launcher icon
(dock), it is by clicking it. Otherwise I type what I want in the
launcher window (slingshot). Thusly I type "private" to use private
browsing. I don't care for having a running Midori and switching to it.

As far as I'm concerned, the launcher is even less discoverable than
most context menus. If you put About in there even support staff will
have problems finding it unless it also becomes standard practise in GNOME.