Re: Widget Discussion: TransientContentBar

2012/9/4 Cody Garver <codygarver@xxxxxxxxx>

> You've got some time to draft it, I don't think a satisfactory version of
> clutter (2.0?) will be out until 13.04.
>
> Talk to tom95 or ricotz for more details.
>
> But it would at least make me feel better if Audience's control bar were a
> granite widget of some form.
>
> --
> Cody Garver

I've asked Tom about similar things just a few days ago and it appears that
proper implementation of this is on hold until GTK4, see
https://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/Roadmap

Regarding the mockup, I'm not really fond of the idea of using it in image
viewers in windowed mode. Unlike Audience which doesn't have any controls
that are supposed to be accessed frequently, the "previous image" and "next
image" are typically used rather frequently in photo viewers. Using a
transient does save space all right, but switching images using mouse
that's a one-click action in e.g. EOG turns into a lengthy process - the
user should reveal the bar, then click the button, and then hide the bar to
have a better look at the image. Quite cumbersome when compared to one
click.

It appears to be the best solution for fullscreen mode, however.

I do agree with placing the toolbar at the bottom, by the way. I've been
advocating this layout quite a while ago. In viewer apps the content is
primary and controls are secondary, so it makes perfect sense to place them
*after* the content in the order of reading. Besides, it balances the
window by counterbalancing the titlebar.