Re: Widget Discussion: TransientContentBar

> Regarding the mockup, I'm not really fond of the idea of using it in image
> viewers in windowed mode. Unlike Audience which doesn't have any controls
> that are supposed to be accessed frequently, the "previous image" and "next
> image" are typically used rather frequently in photo viewers. Using a
> transient does save space all right, but switching images using mouse
> that's a one-click action in e.g. EOG turns into a lengthy process - the
> user should reveal the bar, then click the button, and then hide the bar to
> have a better look at the image. Quite cumbersome when compared to one
> click.

I think the idea is that it would be there for a few seconds when first
viewing the image, then it would fade/slide out of view. Then any mouse
movement (or clicks/taps) over the image would make them fade/slide back
in. Again, this is just like mobile platforms and nearly any video player,
both native and web-based (like Vimeo, YouTube, etc.). I think it's a great
example of adapting to modern paradigms while extending them to new areas.

Of course if everyone thinks it's a terrible idea, we don't have to do it.
But the feedback on Google+ (to which I won't link since Daniel has an
unfounded fear of such things) has been overwhelmingly positive.

Regards,
Cassidy James

--
*Cassidy James* | *Design, Community, and Council*
elementary OS