Re: Developer Environment For Elementary OS

Sorry sending the message twice, I think I didn't set my email client to
assume elementary filter as mailing list
and thus was only replying to one individual.

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 19:01 +0100, David Gomes wrote:
> Shipping more packages in my opinion is anti-developping philosophy.
To start, the idea behind this IS NOT to put into the _main release_ but
rather having a developer environment, something developers would use,
Not the everyday joe (unless he/she/it wanted to).

>  Each developer has his own preferred tools. Shipping more text
> editors, more libraries, etc is just more bloat in my opinion. Ubuntu
> and its derivatives have enough bloat already, since most of these
> distributions ship with more than 2000 packages. In my system I have
> around 1000 packages installed, but it came with around 600.
Who is talking about shipping more text editors ? The way I see it is
quite simple, ship a default bundle, possibly with notes, and core
libraries to develop elementary apps. Nobody is talking about making a
code factory.
Things like offline documentation available maybe even pdf's.
Even a collection of pre-set bookmarks would do a whole lot for someone
that wants to try fixing a bug but has little experience.
Makefile, Cmake, templates that are commented and explained, compiler
ready to use in the version elementary apps are using, alias set to
generate directory structured and so on.

> Besides, developers should face bugs. It's the best way we can know
> about them and fix them (see
> http://elementaryos.org/journal/eating-our-own-dog-food).
I agree with "eating-our-own-dog-food", however i think you are
misinterpreting what it _"really"_ means.
My perspective of what it means goes more inline with, have elementary
installed on your "home" computer, and use in day to day tasks. That way
one can detect (pains, problems, bugs, that a regular user would
see/feel).

When developing what we want is maximum stability and minimum
interference, so we can accurately debug the software we are developing,
instead of being misguided because of bugs that we are unaware off,
because that actually delays the development speed, and hardens the
debugging process, not to mention that also hides bugs when
mistaken/confused by other source of errors.

> If you want the libraries needed for developing our software, just use
> "sudo apt-get source", any developer should know how to get this kind
Yes any _developer_ ... Remind you that not everyone is already one,
there are quite a few that still want to become one.
>  of tools. Using bazaar to branch and build our tools from source is
> also something our developers must know how to do.
Version control systems tend to be a pain for new comers, and even for
some other experienced developers that don't use the one elementary
uses.