Re: Developer Environment For Elementary OS

2012/9/5 David Gomes <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >There should be a recommended set of tools for a programmer to begin with.
> Well, we don't have to recommend anything other than elementary OS.
> Recommend using cmake and Vala? No need to recommend those, any new
> developer is forced to use those.

Nobody is forced to use Vala or even CMake.

> What "set of tools" are you recommending? I really want to know what
> "libraries" and what "tools" you think would ship with this elementary
> OS Developer Version.

Same goes for the SDK metapackage. But I guess it's everything that's
described in the developer guide. SDK can be only discussed in conjunction
with the dev guide IMHO.

Shipping documentation would indeed make it easier for new developers,
> but it's just so easy to install the documentation and the libraries
> that I don't get why it should be done.

Looks like it's not easy enough if dedicated OS spins get proposed.

> Regarding text editors, we already ship Scratch (which is more than
> enough) with elementary OS ;)

AFAIK Scratch as it is isn't enough for coding. It has the devhelp and
terminal plugins and it's OK for my Gedit/GCC habits, but a real developer
could/should expect a better tool. The good thing about Scratch is that
it's mind-blowingly extensible; it's a base for the work-in-progress Vala
IDE and, going forward, a shared component for a set of language- or even
project-specific IDEs.

OS architect @ elementary