elementary-dev-community team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: New plank concept
I've proposed a similar design a while ago: http://shnatsel.blogspot.com/2012/07/application-dock-for-2010s.html
The simple argument that defeated it was that random people I asked couldn't understand how to work with that, didn't recognize the icons or the whole thing as task switcher, etc. I tried some tweaks to remedy that but neither really worked.
There are also trickier problems with this, see Daniel's excellent comment on the post for details.
On Чт., окт. 25, 2012 at 11:44 , Сергей <e-gress@xxxxxxx> wrote:
At the first, I wanted offer a vision of the dock.
Here are some points:
* I think it would be nice to dock in a thin line at the bottom of the screen with colorful application indicators. The colors are taken from the application icons, as in the unity panel.
Of course, we must do in the settings to disable this "compact" mode. Then fill the background panel and application indicators will be padded to an icon.
* Active applications is marked by an arrow pointing down. Arrow color is taken from the color of the application (the lower part)
* Indicator color of urgent window brightens and lights. Similar can be seen in the unity panel.
* When you move the pointer down the screen, with some force (depending on configuration), then swim application icons, with animation.
screenshot, whitout animation :): http://ubuntuone.com/1HVi0W6oKtXhl75JTy5RXG
* Color of the panel is the same, what is the background color, which displays the desktop.
At the second, I wanted to say - can be implemented dock as part of the gala or wing-panel?
I'm not a designer, so it could look ugly.
Here's the source code works:
I hope my sami-automatic English is not horrible.