Re: Moving Away From Ubuntu

If we had to change distribution one of the most important to discuss would be which type of packages should be used (rpm, deb ...) and whether we want elementary as rolling release or not.

Now my two cents, if I had to choose one package management one option to keep in mind would be pisi, it seems to me a great package type (it's written in python and the packages use xml and python) while I don't really like the fact that it is written in python, xml and python should be very easy to use.

However, I would really like to see elementary as half-rolling release, this is, the core (audio, graphics) are frozen and only updates to fix security problems, however the other components follow the traditional rolling release model. Maybe it would be better if this roling release would be a conservative one.With rolling release we could "delete" versions.Also, rolling release would be more on pair on elementary's launch model "when it's ready".