Re: Google Summer of Code Ideas

What I think the OP suggested Contractor for, and what shell scripting does not provide is an API to GUI applications.

In AppleScript you could move windows around, show pages in Safari, add events to iCal, play songs in iTunes. I implemented things like a tiling WM, a script to open links in whatever browser is currently running and more in AppleScript.

It also lets you do things like download something with Safari, resize images with Preview, but on Linux this is better handled with ImageMagic, curl and other cli tools.

Another random idea, that is not a ripoff of OS X is... MS Paint!
Something to annotate screenshots or draw a quick schematic.
For real photo editing there is gimp, but something light to quickly draw and annotate is missing even from OS X.

I'm not so much after the fingerpainting part, for which a dozen paint clones exist. I'm thinking paint with a iLife mindset: make is easy for amateurs to make professional graphics. Check some of the OmniGroup software, and imagine a subset of OmniGraffle and OmniDazzle.

Pepijn