Re: Getting Started With Vala

I'd suggest starting out with Python (e.g. Mark Summerfield wrote an
excellent book on Python 3) and getting a year or two of experience in
personal projects or existing Python code. Vala, while being an excellent
practical language, just doesn't have a comparable course coverage, so it's
a terrible language for starters. Also, most aspects of procedural and OOP
programming are pretty universal across such languages.

I would also suggest Peter Goodliffe's "Code Craft", for generic
programming stuff.

Finally, a book on data structures and algorithms would come in handy, but
I'm not aware of any good AND up-to-date ones. If you find one, let me know.