enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: why all the windows stuff? lets move on from legacy integration and do new cool stuff

Ubuntu and OSS are awesome. No doubt about that.

But they're not the be all and end all.

If you're an Windows-centric organisation with thousands of desktops and
hundreds of servers, and you're running hundreds of legacy Windows
applications, you're not going to move across to a technology that does not
and will not interoperate with Windows technologies unless you're starting
from scratch. Period.

So while it might be easy enough to move infrastructures numbering hundreds
of machines with tens of applications en mass, I don't see bigger
enterprising doing so.

Most enterprises aren't interested in evangelism or the ethics of freedom,
they're interested in increasing productivity, efficiency and decreasing
costs. If we can make it easier for them to migrate bit-by-bit by giving
them access to software which interoperates with the stuff they've already
invested in then we should do so.

Look at the Enterprise leader Red Hat. Do they ignore Windows? Certainly
not.

Chris