enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Antwort: Sketch

Hello,

Ballok, thanks for your initiative with the sketch (did you merged all
topics on 'need' page [1] into the sketch?).
I tried to merge all topics into the sketch, though Sketch's idea was to list structure/topics, not the open questions that were in Needs like Landscape use cases. I also omitted things I felt did not quite fit like "Read/Write NTFS partitions", more like a home user problem, discussed in other places.
I would suggest not to use a single document for the whole Wiki but one
page per task/topic (see also help topic 'Structure in the Wiki' [2]).
Extensive topics should have an overview page which helps to decide which
solution fits the best in my enterprise.

Each topic should be task-oriented (like in the O'Reilly Cookbooks) as we
have to solve real-life problems and need best practices for this.
I agree. Although I do not yet have a slightest idea on the main page, I guess we can start working on wikis like:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/AutomatedInstallation
or
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Handbook/AutomatedInstallation

The Handbook... I do not know if it is good or bad to nest the topics under another layer. In case we needed to split solution described in the articles, we would have something like:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Handbook/AutomatedInstallation/Preseeding/Dynamic

On the other hand putting everything in the same Enterprise/ might make a number of topics:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Email
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/AutomatedInstallation
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/LaunchpadGroupInfo
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Sketch
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/DevelopmentIdeas

Which one is better in your opinion?

Based on the feedback I prepared a suggestion for a possible template for
the pages: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/PageTemplateSuggestion

Each topic has
* a description of the task/goal to achieve.
* an assessment which gives an overview on what version the provided
solutions are working and if they are supported.
* one or multiple solutions of the task. Each one should end with a
distilled receipt in form of a reusable script.
* a discussion of the solution(s).
* further reading for more insights or links to documentation/articles.
Awesome. Can we add this to wiki's page templates?

In Tieto we used the following template for Trac. Just the fact that there was a template gave us higher quality on people's feedback as they knew what they should include in the page. KLD (aka: Kaszanka Linux Distribution) used to be the project name for Ubuntu in Tieto.

= XXXX application usability report =

[[TOC]]

== General ==

XXX application is used for ...

The service is (not required/useful/required/critical) for KLD.

== What works ==

You can give general description (like: everything works as expected), or make some points:
  * UI - working as expected
  * other stuff - works even better than in Windows ;)

== What does not work ==

Again, you can give general description (does not work at all, sorry :() or make points:
  * parhaps fonts - look a bit different
  * some other things
  * SSO - is it working?

== Summary ==

This application can be used in KLD without major issues. The ... (not working functionality) is not really required and users can workaround that by ...

or

This application cannot be used in KLD. To fix the application, we can do... or action is required from ... (service owner, CICT, firewall team etc.)

I am aware that such a complete article is not possible in every case.
Because of this we should see the template as best effort.
Or at least provide a question mark in addition to works/doesn't work so that people who tested it know they can contribute at least to the table.
Concerning pages that already exist in the Ubuntu-wiki (like the Citrix
Howto [3]) I would suggest to move them into our wiki and redirect the old
page if they are related to enterprise and not in particular interest for
end users. In other cases we can link to them in the further reading
section.
That sounds challenging if we were supposed to support those articles. But I guess it should be possible to convince the other guys (like the people that made the Citrix Howto) to join forces and they could still cover those topics.
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Needs
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WikiCourse/52%20Structure%20in%20the%20wiki
[3] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CitrixICAClientHowTo

Cheers,