enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: 100% Open Active Directory - Client and Server

Hi,
I try the hard way, also, Linux client integration with SSSD into MS AD and I must admit  having  a tough time!

Authentication part with login into home directory on the local workstation basically works – even with partially broken realmd .
Problems start if I want to implement  NFS+automount+Kerberos technologies for accessing the home directory;

It seems that standard configuration of workstation and configuration of  required applications for AD integration doesn’t fit together.

What should be actually in /etc/hostname – short, or fqdn name – as  standard?

Even if command ‘hostname -s [-f]’ correctly returns short or fqdn name, and ‘dnsdomainname’ correctly resolves (DNS) domainname –
some applications  figures out identity in a way that it breaks integration with AD and Kerberos directly from ‘hostname’.

This is a puzzle I can’t resolve until now – starting with /etc/hostname – and /etc/hosts:
AD join must be done with short name, as there is Windows limit of 32 chars for sAMAccount name, easy to reach with fqdn name,
and this is ‘realmd’ default.
Kerberos part requires fqdn name , but particularly rpc.gssd breaks if  hostname is  fqdn .

Especially ‘nfs-utils’ is very sensitive on what is put into /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts.

There have been resolved some naming issues in nfs-utils- 1.2.8-9ubuntu1 – available in Utopic.
Could you kindly  backport this package to  Trusty in your repository as well?
It would be the great help in resolving NFS client issues.

Best regards