Re: Upcoming release

On 03/06/2013 08:08 AM, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> On 6 March 2013 06:56, Johan Hake <hake.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I suggest we make 1.0.2, and 1.1.1 releases too, but I guess that was
>> already on your mind?
>>

> I think we should rationalise this. We want (a) to minimise the amount
> of work and (b) encourage users to update . I wouldn't bother with
> 1.1.1.

Do you mean 1.1.1 or 1.0.2 or both? Then why do we bother backporting
bug fixes to these branches? I think as long as we do that we need to
release them too.

This is not sustainable as it can quickly grow out of hands, so we need
to stop backporting at some stage. I suggest we stop backporting to a
branch when there exists a stable branch with a higher number. This mean
we stop backporting to 1.1.x after the 1.2.0 release. If this should
work we also need to make a point release from that branch before it
rendered backporting dead. If we do this we need to update our
development model with a another branch (1.2.x) and a chainsawed (1.1.x)
branch.

I guess 1.0.x branch is a bit special as it is so tightly connected with
the book, and we therefore need to keep that for a while. That is our
LTS branch in Ubuntu terms.

Johan