Re: [DOLFIN-dev] Plans for release

Anders Logg wrote:
Simula has never made an open release of software depending on DOLFIN.

Ola can probably say something more about this.

Ok.
Depending on what state the code is in when someone asks for a
release, it may take from just a day to a couple of weeks to get a
release ready. So if you just ask for a release earlier (like a couple
of weeks before you need it), then it shouldn't be a problem.

The dolfin-incremental thing looks like it complicates things. An
alternative would be to make automatic daily snapshots so you can
depend on dolfin-2008-01-16 for example.
I don't think it's practical to depend on automatic snapshots, you would have to time your commands to some daily or hourly script, it seems a bit cumbersome. But sure, why not build on the snapshot system. When you want a persistent snapshot release, you run the snapshot script with a date tag. Or?

You mean not making automatic snapshots but having a script that takes
a snapshot with version number = YYYY-MM-DD?

That could work. We just need to add a directory

  http://www.fenics.org/pub/software/dolfin/snapshots

and a simple script named makesnapshot (or similar) under scripts/ in
DOLFIN that runs the script and uploads. We can run this script
anytime at the request of anyone.
Ok good, this would probably be enough to satisfy everyone.
On a related note, can we remove dolfin-stable and
dolfin-testing? They haven't been updated for 6 months
I think we should have a working system in place before we remove old systems. But they can be removed if we have a usable alternative.

But is anyone using them? They don't seem to be maintained
No, they haven't been used lately. We've had a dolfin-kth repository which has filled the function of dolfin-testing for the "unicorn-kth" repository. But rather than extending such a setup to the FEniCS unicorn repository, I think it's a better idea to develop against frequent snapshot releases. So let's try that and remove dolfin-testing and dolfin-stable.

 Johan