folding-at-home team mailing list archive

Re: Hello, and Welcome!

2010/1/19 Steve Woodruff <swoody@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Christopher Swift
> <christopher.swift@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2010/1/17 Steve Woodruff <swoody@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> With our recent influx of members to the Launchpad group, and our
>>> recent mailing list subscribers, I wanted to send out this quick
>>> hello, and how-do-you-do :)
>>>
>>> I figured we can use this mailing list as a way to keep in touch with
>>> each other, and a means by which we can ask any kind of Ubuntu/folding
>>> related questions. I think that this is rather important as we really
>>> don't have a decent method of communicating on the forum when we're
>>> looking for something folding-specific.
>>>
>>> So get used to the mailing list! Send a reply, say hello, and
>>> introduce yourself :)
>>>
>>> Thanks again to everyone for making Team Ubuntu the folding success
>>> that it has become! (Currently ranked #68 out of ~75,000 teams
>>> world-wide!!)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve Woodruff
>>> swoody@xxxxxxxxxx
>>>

>> Just figured that I'd say hi myself.  Well,  the name's Chris,  or if
>> you ever catch me in IRC then I'm simply known as ianto.  I'm the
>> current Point of Contact and a founding member of the Ubuntu Cymru
>> (Wales) LoCo team as well as being an administrator of both the en_GB
>> and cy_GB translation teams.
>>
>> The real-life me,  well I am a 17 y/o college student studying Welsh
>> Lang. & Lit., Computing & Electronics working towards my BA Cymraeg
>> (Welsh).  As well as taking part in helping out on a course to teach
>> people Welsh.
>>
>> Currently I run Folding on just my PS3 but I'm working on finding out
>> how best to run it on my computers without using up too much of my fan
>> speed thus making noise or stealing my power.
>>
>> Not really much else to say other than good work on the Folding
>> project guys and if you are interested in my short bio above feel free
>> to ask questions.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christopher Swift <christopher.swift@xxxxxxxxx>
>>

> Christopher,
>
> It's great to have you aboard! To help you with trying to figure out
> the best method to fold, and not eat up all of your power, I think
> this mailing list may be pretty useful. If you want, you can send an
> email directly to the mailing list to start a new topic, and fill us
> in a bit on your details (laptop/desktop, CPU specs, etc.) and maybe
> we can try to get you squared away with that :)
>
> Dayofswords,
>
> It's great to see you here as well! Indeed, the "proper" way to reply
> to a mailing list is to bottom-post (how I have replied here), but to
> be honest, most people aren't aware of it, and I can tell you that
> nobody will be chastising you if you don't use it here ;)
>
> I can also understand how you feel about folding on your laptop. I
> leave my lappy running 24/7 so it can fold, even when I'm not using
> [...]

Well,  I've got an eee pc of the following specs,  1.6GHz Atom
Processor with 1GB RAM and 160GB PATA HDD.   Also having a desktop
with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Dual-Core Processor,  1.5GB RAM
and a few hundred (unsure of total) GB of SATA drives.  I use
dual-boot Ubuntu on both,  XP on the netbook,  Windows 7 on the
desktop.  I do not wish to overly use the processor on the netbook my
most used device obviously for the battery life and also because I do
Skype video conferencing and background programs tend to make Skype
freeze in both Ubuntu and XP,  Chrome is a right pain for this
problem.  What I'd like is some way to run these applications without
conflicting with my running of Skype,  I can sometimes video
conference 10 hours a day so obviously I don't want to just disable
Folding for the sake of it but rather find a way to scale operations.

Regards,
Chris.