Re: [geda-user] New experimental netlist features

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:
So you consider adding various rewrites of the programs we have using various languages to be a progress?

Xorn isn't a rewrite of existing programs.  It consists of:

  libxornstorage - a new C library which helps managing objects in memory
  xorn.storage - Python bindings for libxornstorage
  xorn.geda - a subset of libgeda, ported to Python and refactored
  xorn.geda.netlist - the gnetlist code, ported to Python and refactored

There are good reasons to go that way, as I outlined on the geda-user list.

Aren't you afraid this will turn into one-man show?

I hope it won't; that's part of the reason why I agreed to merge Xorn into mainline gEDA/gaf at an early point.

Branch from just before the xorn integration, then.  I think that
until we have a solid development schedule, we're going to have to
risk things happening "not when convenient".

Yes, yes. And then branch from that branch, and then again. Why is the master branch needed then?

Branching for a release is actually the way it's usually done, and there are good reasons for it.

Now, when geda-gaf builds also without problems on *BSD, it would be the most appropriate moment. But you move in an experimental stuff, making things to be in flux again, and drive me into a corner.

This is one of the good reasons.