Re: PLEASE STOP !!! - Re: [geda-user] Apollon

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>   * Please answer if you are ready to change the current
>>     policy and add some other devs/users as admins to the admins of the
>>     gEDA administrator list?
>>   * What are criteria for the people who might be admins of the gEDA
>>     administrator list?

This is not the part we were voting on. The part we were talking about
I have echoed at the end of this email

> Since an answer seems to be expected of me... Admins are people with a
> long history of not just committing patches, but helping others get
> patches committed, directing the flow of work, and otherwise managing
> the project as a whole.
>
> These are not people we "hire" or "vote in" to do the job, these are
> people who are *already* doing the job, and we call them admins to
> recognize their work, not to convince them to do it.

I am not trying to become admin. I really do just want to keep gEDA
relevant so that it can have more than 1 active developer. I feel like
I have a lot invested in this tool and I want to see it continue. I
know nothing about launchpad and if I can avoid that responsibility I
would like too. With the exception of this last spat I feel like I
have been the one running around settling disputes and I would rather
be coding or at least going over bug reports.

> So, consistent with what I've been saying all along... if you want to
> be a developer, be a developer.  If you want to be an admin, be an
> admin.  If your goal in life is to get others to vote you a title,
> you're probably in the wrong place.

DJ, I think you are miss interpreting this. I thought the point was
that we would vote on having the people on the geda-developers list
vote on what ideas (in concept) would or would not be accepted. The
reason being that right now if someone wants to write something and
they ask the groups opinion right now they almost always get a fight
over yes or no, followed by a lot of needling over minutia. This is in
part because those ideas are being bounced around gEDA-user where it
seems like the peanut gallery displaces all real discussion.

I thought the concept was ideas would be suggested on geda-user and if
(really when) a fight broke out someone from geda-developer would take
the issue to this list and call for a vote. Then the results would be
brought back to geda-user and the end of the discussion would be
called.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Vladimir Zhbanov <vzhbanov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:03:53PM +0200, Markus Hitter (mah@xxxxxxxxxxx) [via geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>> Am 14.09.2015 um 21:10 schrieb Vladimir Zhbanov:
<snip>
> So, my suggestion is as follows:
>
> Let's play in the 'real democracy', that is
>   * let's ask the current admins if they're ready/consider this to be
>     good to changing the current policy and add some other devs/users as
>     admins of the admins' list
>   * let's do it in the dev list which all devs and admins have been
>     subscribed on (At least you, DJ, Bert, Evan, me could participate in
>     the voting)
>   * If nobody of the admin list admins answers, we could consider them
>     to be inactive
>   * The result can be defined just as majority vote.
>   * Any time there is a possibility to do a fork (I hate to say this!)

http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/
Work
http://forge.abcd.harvard.edu/gf/project/epl_engineering/wiki/