Re: PLEASE STOP !!! - Re: [geda-user] Apollon

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 06:57:48PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> >   * Please answer if you are ready to change the current
> >     policy and add some other devs/users as admins to the admins of the
> >     gEDA administrator list?
> >   * What are criteria for the people who might be admins of the gEDA
> >     administrator list?
>
> Since an answer seems to be expected of me... Admins are people with a
> long history of not just committing patches, but helping others get
> patches committed, directing the flow of work, and otherwise managing
> the project as a whole.
>
> These are not people we "hire" or "vote in" to do the job, these are
> people who are *already* doing the job, and we call them admins to
> recognize their work, not to convince them to do it.
>
> So, consistent with what I've been saying all along... if you want to
> be a developer, be a developer.  If you want to be an admin, be an
> admin.  If your goal in life is to get others to vote you a title,
> you're probably in the wrong place.

If you mean personally me, you can see I've never asked admin privileges
until I realized nobody cares about geda-gaf releases any more, that is,
I asked them a week after my question about our release plans here,
since there was no answer. Besides, my question on geda-user about
leadership was probably understood wrongly, sorry. I said about project
leadership model, something like Debian has, not about my personality.

Having said this, my above questions have pragmatical goals. Rejecting
of some inactive developers and non-developers, having claimed they
wanted to be admins years ago, has caused a stormy negative reaction of
one of the current most active developers, namely Markus Hitter (IIUC,
this was the reason of his statement: "No support for admins actively
blasting developers away"). I want to avoid this, and resolve all moot
points.

So allow me to ask more accurately:
  - Was this decision wrong or not?
  - If it was wrong, should we approve all people who wants to be a
    member of the admin or developer team?
  - If you consider rejection of some persons to be wrong, let's discuss
    that/them.

Thanks,
  Vladimir