gnome3-team team mailing list archive

Re: Vanillux

Hi Rodrigo,

Because we believe a Rolling Release is the way to go for simplicity a
desktop use should NEVER have to reinstall. We believe releases either push
the developers too hard and brings bugs (Ubuntu)  OR freeze for too long and
end up stagnating (Debian)(This is just a point of view, its a question of
taste and choice, i guess theres a need for everything). We want to be the
middle ground, bug / time / package feature release.

Debian is beautiful where it can offer the most sable
do-it-all easily distro. From the HPC to the netbook, but the fact that they
wont integrate some key closed source parts hinders it towards its
competitors. We dont mind SOME closed source software, so we will have the
few missing features to make the desktop environment more attractive to both
the open minded Linux users (i believe block ALL closed source software is
as bad as saying open-source is evil and will destroy the world) we will
just inform the user and offer an easy way to opt-out and remove it.

We are unique and needed, we are the middle ground. And at the end of the
day if we can get a few windows users to switch over isnt that good for
everyone ?

cheers

--
*Fabrice Quenneville*