Re: [Question #169882]: Slow web performance when clustered.

chrismd proposed the following answer:
Sorry my previous answer was specifically trying to address the
connectivity to the cache servers. You are correct that relays can
duplicate datapoints to multiple caches for redundancy. That behavior is
fully supported/recommended and it would probably simplify your
configuration a little.

The slowness however is probably not normal. Performance depends on tons
of variables of course but if you've got two systems that perform well
when they're not clustered I would expect them to perform comparably
when they are clustered, however performance of a clustered system does
depend on how the data is distributed in the cluster.

If you have two systems and want redundancy in the event that one goes
down then I would suggest duplicating all datapoints to both systems
using the relay and not clustering the webapps, simply configure each
machine as if it were the only one. Then put a load balancer in front of
the webapps, and make sure both webapps share the same database.

This solution assumes that one machine can handle all of the load. If
that assumption is incorrect then you need to remove the duplication
(and hence complete redundancy) and spread the datapoints between the
two servers, which will require the webapps to be configured as a
cluster.

Once you've determined how to configure your deployment I'd be happy to
help address performance issues with the webapp clustering. The best
method would probably be to file a bug and include data for the expected
vs actual results, system performance metrics, etc. Also please include
the version of graphite you are using, your local_settings.py, and your
carbon.conf in the bug.