Re: [Question #183172]: Improving the docs

Nicholas Leskiw proposed the following answer:
The short answer is that Graphite (the webapp) does not require those, and
check-dependencies.py is *only* checking for Graphite, not carbon or
whisper.  Many people send enough data to carbon that it warrants it's own
high-powered server, and so we merely warn them that carbon won't run, it's
up to you to decide if that's a problem. Although they're highly
integrated, Graphite and Carbon are not the same thing and have different
requirements. I'll look into making separate check-dependencies.py for
whisper, carbon and graphite.

The docs have always been a work in progress; they should probably say a
heck of a lot more than they do.  ; ) Unfortunately, this is an non-funded
OSS project.  Myself, Chris and many of the other contributors are doing
all of this in our spare time and for no money.  </plea-for-more-help>

P.S.: Bring up the webapp or do not bring up the webapp.  There is no
try.

-Nick