Re: gtg almost on ubuntu cd

On 14/05/10 19:41, Bryce Harrington wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 07:13:28PM +0200, Lionel Dricot wrote:
   * Name.  Rick was iffy on the name 'Getting things GNOME' and wondered
     if a different name would be more discoverable for new users

I don't believe that the name has to be "discoverable". See Firefox,
Epiphany, Nautilus, Evolution.

I think they would say those are different since they have "brand
recognition".  Kind of chicken/egg situation but anyway.

The key is to label it well in the menu (thus the desktop file).

I agree that "Getting Things GNOME! tasks manager" is a bit long.

GTG personal tasks manager ?

Or even "GTG Todo List" ?

What about "GTG personal organizer"? For me GTG is more than a todo list, and "task manager" sounds like a machine for me. I would prefer to highlight the service.

   * Integration with Tomboy turned on by default.  (This could be set
     particular to the Ubuntu packaging.)

The Tomboy integration could also be better but I still don't really see
how.

Yeah, and like I said in my other email, the more powerful strategy
would be to subsume note functionality sufficiently, that it enables
Ubuntu to save tons of space by dropping Mono (but the gtg notes
functionality would need to be really good).

   * Desktopcouch integration (again, could be particular to Ubuntu
     package if that'd be easier.)

   * Minimize install size.  The CD has a fixed number of bits that fit.
     So the smaller the gtg .deb can be made, the easier it is to sell to
     seb128.

Currently 500ko. Do we really need to improve that ? I mean Tomboy
requires the full Mono stack only for itself (and F-Spot).

Exactly.  If we can displace Tomboy than we save way more space than we
consume.  If we can't, then maybe there are ways to slim further,  like
splitting the base gtg from some less widely used plugins.  But I like
the first idea better.

What level of complexity should we give to a potential note-taking functionality? Personally, I've never seen GTG as a full replacement for Tomboy, so I'm not sure if we should follow this path. But would a basic note-organizing functionality be enough? Would it be satisfactory then, or appear as half-baked (which would be detrimental to GTG)? If not, are we ready and do we want to implement a kick-ass personal note organizer?

   * Icon looks too similar to the clipboard icon.  Would be
     esp. confusing if the gtg indicator is enabled.

Changing the icon is something we could consider for 0.3. We have to ask
Kalle Persson about that.

I like our icon, but I agree it's confusing. Changing for 0.3 would be a nice idea, a great opportunity to mark the big changes (more speed, more functionality, etc. etc.)

   * Ensure/demonstrate relevance of gtg for ordinary users.  *I* figure
     everyone needs a todo list management tool, but it did not sound
     "sexy" to David Siegel; perhaps there is something we could do to
     communicate the awesomeness of todo list management.

I don't  really understand how someone like David Siegel can live
without a todo list management tool, be it on paper ;-)

I know, I mentioned to him after the session that the type of users I
most want to gain for Ubuntu are folks who make good contributions, and
those people definitely have todo lists, and I want to help them be
organized with their tasks so they can contribute.  He thought that was
a good point.

Bryce