Re: gtg almost on ubuntu cd

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:38 +0200, Bertrand Rousseau wrote:

> >> I don't believe that the name has to be "discoverable". See Firefox,
> >> Epiphany, Nautilus, Evolution.
> >
> > I think they would say those are different since they have "brand
> > recognition".  Kind of chicken/egg situation but anyway.
> >
> >> The key is to label it well in the menu (thus the desktop file).
> >>
> >> I agree that "Getting Things GNOME! tasks manager" is a bit long.
> >>
> >> GTG personal tasks manager ?
> >
> > Or even "GTG Todo List" ?
> >

> What about "GTG personal organizer"? For me GTG is more than a todo
> list, and "task manager" sounds like a machine for me. I would prefer to
> highlight the service.

  I haven't used it recently, but I know the last time I had Hamster
installed I could only find the *name* "Hamster" by going into the About
dialog. Everyplace else it was called "Time Tracker".

  "To-Do/Tasks List" or "Personal To-Do/Tasks List" could be used
similarly for GTG.

> >> The Tomboy integration could also be better but I still don't really see
> >> how.
> >
> > Yeah, and like I said in my other email, the more powerful strategy
> > would be to subsume note functionality sufficiently, that it enables
> > Ubuntu to save tons of space by dropping Mono (but the gtg notes
> > functionality would need to be really good).

> >> Currently 500ko. Do we really need to improve that ? I mean Tomboy
> >> requires the full Mono stack only for itself (and F-Spot).
> >
> > Exactly.  If we can displace Tomboy than we save way more space than we
> > consume.  If we can't, then maybe there are ways to slim further,  like
> > splitting the base gtg from some less widely used plugins.  But I like
> > the first idea better.

  I used Gnote for a while, and the discussion about Gnote vs. Tomboy
was really ugly, irrational and just generally not fun. People made the
argument that Gnote made sense because it would allow Ubuntu to drop
Mono, and it was rudely rejected.

  I would rather not have GTG pitched against Tomboy in a similar way.
If a user just wants to-do management, they can use GTG; if they want to
take a lot of notes (e.g. lecture notes; see Laura Czajkowski's recent
posts on Planet Ubuntu) they can use Tomboy; and if they are using both,
at least GTG can be a good neighbour by interacting well with Tomboy.

> What level of complexity should we give to a potential note-taking
> functionality? Personally, I've never seen GTG as a full replacement for
> Tomboy, so I'm not sure if we should follow this path. But would a basic
> note-organizing functionality be enough? Would it be satisfactory then,
> or appear as half-baked (which would be detrimental to GTG)? If not, are
> we ready and do we want to implement a kick-ass personal note organizer?

  I would argue this would spread human resources too thin.

> >> Changing the icon is something we could consider for 0.3. We have to ask
> >> Kalle Persson about that.
>
> I like our icon, but I agree it's confusing. Changing for 0.3 would be a
> nice idea, a great opportunity to mark the big changes (more speed, more
> functionality, etc. etc.)

I've never actually run across a clipboard icon while using Ubuntu. Is
that unusual?

--
Paul Kishimoto
MASc candidate (2010), Flight Systems & Control Group

http://paul.kishimoto.name — +19053029315