Re: GTG-Redesign (Another Update)

Hi Alex,

As always, you have done a great work!

Task list:

 - Regarding the "No filter" item, I think there's a more global issue
here. As you say it yourself, this particular solution act as a "fix"
for the fact that, with the top bar/sidebar conjunction you propose,
there are no possibilities to display to the complete list of tasks
once a sidebar item is selected. It feels a bit artificial. The
experience should ideally indeed be globally consistent and not be
built as a "global solution + a bunch specific fixes for specific
issues"

I think, in order to find a consistent solution to this, that we
should agree on the overall GTG experience (a.k.a. imagine the big
ideas behind "how a user uses GTG"). This will help us to define
clearly the top bar elements, and the related sidebar items. A
dedicated discussion is thus required here.

- I noticed you called the app "Tasks" in your screenshots. There are
indeed valid reasons for changing GTG's name. However, let's have this
discussion later. (I'm getting ahead of you for this, I suppose)

Task editor:

 - I really like the mockup, it's nice! I first imagined this with a
sidebar on the right which could make use of the plenty available
space, but I must tell that the toolbar you designed looks really
good. IMHO, the button arrangement is ok like this, it indeed
corresponds to a classical arrangement, which is a good thing (there's
no need to redefine everything).

 - As for the animation for the transition, I like the slide, but I'm
personally not really convinced by the fade in effect. But, most of
all, I think that this should first be consistent with other apps
performing the same kind of transition (like Music, for instance).
This should thus be clearly discussed with GNOME designers.

 - A caveat of taking the whole screen is that the text would span the
entire screen, which cause important readability issues (shorter line
lengths are easier to read). Poor readability makes the note taking
capability less interesting.

 - As huxuan noticed, having an integrated editor could be a really
interesting option too.

However, even with such an option, we would still need an independent
editor as well. Indeed, if one wants to keep one or several specific
tasks open (a use case that is handy on a desktop PC), then GTG should
still allow to popup a task editor window. Moreover, if we consider a
daemonized GTG, with tasks being then potentially accessible outside
of the browser, there should be an independent editor too.

Thanks again!

Bertrand