Re: My idea for adding rich text editing

Hi Steve,

once again, congratulation to your GSoC! I haven't seen you on our IRC #gtg on GimpNet much. If you would need a help or chit chat with other GTG geeks, that's the right place to do. If you are more close to European timezone than Luca's timezone, I might answer your questions here.

I haven't read your proposal and don't know your plan how to tackle it. From my point of view, you should start from the other end. Have a look at the code and design a new architecture for task editor. It has to be:

* extensible - adding new features like spell checking, rich text editing can't be a big problem * testable - it means split parsing and GTK code and cover parsing with as many unit tests as possible * public interface for the rest of GTG - mainly force editor to reload the task after child in the task browser was added, add a new tag, rename a new tag and delete a tag from the editor

Huxuan and I started to put together all available information and bug reports in this blueprint: https://live.gnome.org/gtg/blueprints/taskeditor-rework Feel free to reuse it and save time.

What subset of features do you want to implement?

You are free to modify the format of tasks (currently saved as an XML node) to something more suitable for you.

I recommend you to start writing an editor from scratch using GTK3 instead of PyGTK. GTG is going to switch from PyGTK to GTK3 hopefully soon.

Please, push your new code in Launchpad often. People including me can subscribe to your branch, see your progress and give a precious, early feedback.

There is an initiative to redesign GTG: https://live.gnome.org/gtg/Design The design phase is not frozen yet but it would be awesome if you implement the new design for task editor. Discussion is welcomed.

An alternative to shortcuts for rich text editing might be to use kind of syntax you can see in mail editors. You write something in *bold* or as _underlined_.

If you want to discuss something, ask for a feedback or need something, just write to us. We are looking forward to the new task editor!

Have an awesome summer with GTG!

Izidor