Re: My idea for adding rich text editing

Hi Steve,

On 05/11/2012 12:18 AM, Steve Scheel wrote:
Hi Izidor,

Thanks for the congratulations! The main reason I haven't been on the
IRC is because I was at the end of my semester, so I've be on as much as
I possibly can, but I've been busy with school, although now that it's
over I should be on more! I'm actually in the Eastern Timezone so I
shouldn't have trouble hooking up with him, however I'm sure we'll be in
touch on the IRC channel.

I've been thinking about whether I wanted to refactor or add some small
editing features first and figured that the small features would give me
a chance to work with the codebase, but if working on a new editor from
scratch is what GTG wants me to do, I'm willing to do that, and I agree
that starting with that would be the best thing to do. Also, I can
definitely start researching GTK3 with python and start planning some
things out, and will bring those ideas to the table here.

Congratulations on your GSoC as well and I look forward to talking to
you on the IRC!

~Steve Scheel

If you are not familiar with the current codebase then implementing a small feature to the current code is a good idea. Basic rich text edition forces you to look at almost all levels - parsing, storing on the disk, etc. But don't spend much time there and remember, it is only a prototype you will throw away.

I am presenting my own opinion how to solve problems but I am not your mentor. Don't forget to discuss big decisions with Luca as well. He would have similar opinion about it probably. But he is the one who fill out GSoC form for completed/not completed :)

In other words, those are my suggestions and a discussion is welcomed.

Izidor