hipl-core team mailing list archive

Re: [Branch ~hipl-core/hipl/trunk] Rev 4915: More verbose debug messages.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:33:44 +0200, Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hum... so reformatting this (A)

            ctx->transport_hdr.tcp = (struct tcphdr*)
                    (((char *) ip6_hdr) + sizeof(struct ip6_hdr));

to this (B)

            ctx->transport_hdr.tcp = (struct tcphdr*)
(((char *) ip6_hdr) + sizeof(struct ip6_hdr));

rather than this (C)

            ctx->transport_hdr.tcp = (struct tcphdr*)
                                     (((char *) ip6_hdr) +
                                      sizeof(struct ip6_hdr));

is recommended even though in (B) the second line is slightly longer than
80 characters (and (A) still looks readable, imho) while in (C) it is
within the threshold?

Both (B) and (C) are more readable than (A).  Choose your poison.

I see, maybe HACKING should explicitly state something like "maintaining vertical alignment is more important than avoiding line breaks"? Because that may seem counterintuitive to some... to me it does (matter of taste). Avoiding long lines is implied in the above, because those would introduce breaks too (by the text editor).