Re: some hybrid linux hack (rather dirty)

2011-05-09 17:29, Michael Reid skrev:
> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Florian Berger <florian.berger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ok finally pushed it to github as "hybrid-windump".
>> unfortunately had no time for refinement for now, sry...
>>
>> ps.: thanks for seeing some beauty behind the ulgyness ;)
>>
> This is looking neat I think I'll give it a go shortly. I was
> following the VirtualGL thread as well but the complexity has kept me
> from finding the time to try it out.
>
> Has anyone tried both methods? What is the performance difference?
> Other differences?
>
> Joakim, it sounds like you've tried both, do you have any comments to share?
I haven't actually tried the VirtualGL approach, I'm only basing my
opinions on the assumption that rendering to a buffer and then
compressing to JPEG or colorspace converting to YUV takes more CPU than
just copying to a buffer and then rendering that same buffer to a window.
> Architecturally this also seems like it has a better chance of
> operating a bit more seamlessly by being able to composite both nvidia
> and intel windows on the same display -- or do I have my facts
> confused?
I'm running the windump program as a full-screen window and only using
the nvidia card for everything right now, I think it would probably be
possible to make something that can copy each window into a separate
window on the intel display but IMO it's not worth the hassle.
> /mike.

I've done some improvements to the original code and pushed it to
github. I've added another hack that copies the mouse cursor from the
nvidia screen into the window and removed the window borders so I can
run it as a full screen window.
To get full 1366x768 resolution on the nvidia card I had to copy the
modeline that the intel driver prints to the log file Xorg.0.log and put
it in the Monitor section in xorg.conf, otherwise it was stuck at
1024x768 even with all EDID options turned off for the nvidia card..

My next step will be trying to reduce the CPU load. I haven't done much
X11 coding before but Xdamage and Xrender are some things I will look
into when I find the time to do so. This is probably at least a few
weeks away, so if anyone else has the spare time, feel free to start
hacking.
My fork is at http://github.com/gebart/hybrid-windump

/Joakim