Re: Dell Latitude E6420 - getting nvidia to work with Optimus enabled

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Moshe Nissim <mnissim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I understood correctly, bumblebee uses the intel graphics as the 'main' X
> server hardware,
> and another X server for the nVidia graphics, without a visible screen, and
> with VirtuGL to route
> GL operations to Pbuffer on that screen.
> I don't want all this setup.
> I want something much simpler: ignore the intel graphics completely, and use
> the nVida hardware
> with the nVidia driver.

Right now there is no way of ignoring the intel graphics driver other
than directly from the BIOS, and only in certain models, but with the
optimus bumblebee you *are* using nvidia hardware *and* nvidia drivers
for all the applications you call with optirun. There is a penalty in
using VirtualGL routing, but other than that, it does use the nvidia
drivers, that are on-par with the Windows drivers in performance.

It would be useful if you could run this on Windows and Linux
bumblebee to check the performance difference:

on windows:
google-chrome http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

on linux with bumblebee installed, try both:
google-chrome http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html
optirun google-chrome
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

and please reply with the FPS values for the three cases.

> Does this laptop have a hardware LVDS mux?
> If yes, does someone know how to throw the switch via acpi_call?

There is no obvious LVDS mux in your model's DSDT tables but it could
be a different method that we've found so far...

Cheers