Re: Dell Latitude E6420 - getting nvidia to work with Optimus enabled

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Albert Vilella <avilella@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Right now there is no way of ignoring the intel graphics driver other
> than directly from the BIOS, and only in certain models, but with the
> optimus bumblebee you *are* using nvidia hardware *and* nvidia drivers
> for all the applications you call with optirun. There is a penalty in
> using VirtualGL routing, but other than that, it does use the nvidia
> drivers, that are on-par with the Windows drivers in performance.
>
> It would be useful if you could run this on Windows and Linux
> bumblebee to check the performance difference:

At the moment I do not wish to risk the working linux installation by
installing bumblebee over it.
By "working" I mean it works fine when I disable Optimus in the BIOS.

> and please reply with the FPS values for the three cases.
>
> > Does this laptop have a hardware LVDS mux?
> > If yes, does someone know how to throw the switch via acpi_call?
>
> There is no obvious LVDS mux in your model's DSDT tables but it could
> be a different method that we've found so far...

I think there must be some mux, because when I disable Optimus in the BIOS,
the nVidia output is what goes to the LCD.
Sadly I cannot find any method in the ACPI tables to actually do it in
runtime.