inx-devel team mailing list archive

Re: Goals and dreadlines [ was Re: Thread 4: What's actually happening...]

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:26:44 +0300
Janne Jokitalo <astraljava@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 06:06:46AM +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > This is really my first "collaborative" GNU/Linux "project" involving
> > actual code, so I'm still adjusting ... I was probably just having a bad
> > day, so sorry if my post seemed a bit dramatic ;-)
>
> Oh no worries at all. You're the author. You make the rules. :)

Heh - well I'm not very good at being a dictator, really ;-)

> Some people take code in a very cold way. I see Peter Garrett stamped all over
> INX. I don't believe in the project if you wouldn't be driving it.

I have to be a bit crazy to make a distro without X in this day and age
*g*.

> > When I first started doing INX there was nobody waiting for the latest
> > version etc. - so I had the luxury of taking my time over it!
>
> I think there might be a misunderstanding here. What I was talking about was
> where INX was heading, not when it's meant to be there. I apologize for possible
> misleading. :)

Hmm... I don't think it was misleading, I just think I was having a bad
day :-) You have a point that INX probably needs at least some
published direction. I will think further on the subject after 1.0
(yes, I hope 1.0 is just around the corner... don't hold your breath
though *g* )

> I think that many of us are already under pressure coming from all directions.
> Believe me, I don't want to cause another one. But I'm still very interested in
> knowing whether INX has a clear road, or if it's flowing free. Oh, and none
> preferred. :)

A bit of both perhaps... keep the options open, but maybe set up some
directions to move in, as above.

> Maybe what it all boils down to is that being on another continent than most of
> you, I'm very isolated, and it means I cannot often participate in talks that
> might carry development over. Without it, and a wiki, for example, I feel lost.

Actually there hasn't been a lot of talk lately, so you haven't missed
much. I guess this list is a good place to start.

> Not that big a deal, really. I'm not a lifting contributor. :)
>
> > I've pushed a few minor bug fixes and clean-ups, and I hope to have
> > something new soon. I'm just having a bit of a break really. I've been
> > obsessing about INX for over a year now, and occasionally I just throw
> > my hands up and need to walk away for a while *g*
>
> That's really very healthy, you know. :)

Better than having a grumpy "driver" anyway ;-)

> > Stay tuned...
>
> Will do.

Thanks!

Peter