inx-devel team mailing list archive

Re: INX Debian/Ubuntu Package

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 05:53:46 +1100
David Symons <david.symons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This could be a conflict for people who already have an mta set up
> > before installing the inx package
>
> Currently the inx package has the dependency:
>     msmtp-mta|mail-transport-agent
>
> This should mean that msmtp-mta is preferred when there is no mta
> present, but won't be installed if one is.

Hmm... OK. I guess msmtp would still be installed, so the config
questions would still work for mailinx/f-mailfunctions. The main point
being that msmtp is required (it's quite small and doesn't interfere
with, for example, exim4 as far as I know, although I only have that
setup on my hard drive install of INX, and exim4 is set only for local
mail between users.)

As far as I can see from apt-cache depends inx, there is no specific
dep for mta - but mutt has

 |Recommends: exim4
  Recommends: <mail-transport-agent>
    courier-mta
    esmtp-run
    exim4-daemon-light
    masqmail
    msmtp-mta
    nullmailer
    sendmail-bin
    smail
    ssmtp
    xmail
    exim4-daemon-heavy
    nbsmtp
    postfix

But this is not enough, because I think it will prefer exim4 unless
msmtp-mta is installed. I discovered this in the process of making mutt
install without a 'huge-overkill' mta, yonks ago... I had to
specifically install msmtp-mta, or mutt would pull in postfix on feisty,
or, on hardy, exim4, IIRC.

Or have I missed something? (quite likely, historically...)

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net