inx-devel team mailing list archive

Re: INX Debian/Ubuntu Package

Hi Peter, all,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 3:24 AM, Peter Garrett <inx-one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 05:53:46 +1100
> David Symons <david.symons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Currently the inx package has the dependency:
>>     msmtp-mta|mail-transport-agent
>>
>> This should mean that msmtp-mta is preferred when there is no mta
>> present, but won't be installed if one is.
>
> Hmm... OK. I guess msmtp would still be installed

No it wouldn't if there was already a package that satisfies
"mail-transport-agent" present.  It's an _or_ dependency.

>, so the config
> questions would still work for mailinx/f-mailfunctions. The main point
> being that msmtp is required

Ah, righto.  I'll remove "|mail-transport-agent" then.

> As far as I can see from apt-cache depends inx, there is no specific
> dep for mta - but mutt has
>
>  |Recommends: exim4
>  Recommends: <mail-transport-agent>
>    courier-mta
>    esmtp-run
>    exim4-daemon-light
>    masqmail
>    msmtp-mta
>    nullmailer
>    sendmail-bin
>    smail
>    ssmtp
>    xmail
>    exim4-daemon-heavy
>    nbsmtp
>    postfix
>
> But this is not enough, because I think it will prefer exim4 unless
> msmtp-mta is installed

Yes it will.

> I discovered this in the process of making mutt
> install without a 'huge-overkill' mta, yonks ago... I had to
> specifically install msmtp-mta, or mutt would pull in postfix on feisty,
> or, on hardy, exim4, IIRC.

Yes, I've seen similar things too.

> Or have I missed something? (quite likely, historically...)

No.  I did :-)
(the importance of the mailinx config questions)

Cheers, Dave.
--
David Symons
Armidale NSW Australia