Re: Component library

Milan Horák a écrit :
Hello Dick,

but C:\Program Files\kicad\share\modules\packages3d\discret does not work, but C:\Program Files\kicad\modules\packages3d\discret works.

Is that OK?

Question for Jean-Pierre: in Wings3D resistor.wings is 10 grid squares long, but in pcbnew R4 is approx 8 grid suares long (1/10"grid) - 10mm (4/10").

In discret.mod there is this definition:

Na "discret/resistor.wrl"
Sc 0.400000 0.400000 0.400000
Of 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
Ro 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

Sc is for scale 0.4
Of is for offset
Ro is for rotation

It means then that resistor.wings model is 1" long.
And all models (R3, R4, R5, R6 and R7) are created only by scaling the default model.

Do I understand all of it the right way? Do I miss something?

This is the right way.
And a lot of footprints uses this feature (capacitors, smd footprints ...).
This feature spares a lot of time to create a footprint + its 3D shape.
And you can use more than one 3D shape.
This is usefull to add a heat sink 3D shape to a power transistor 3D shape, or an i.c. shape to an i.c. socket for instance ( one can adjust the second 3D shape scale, orientation and position offset to do that)
Got one problem - nice, realistic and smooth (one color without color stripes) resistor.wrl is 140kB - can it be so or is it too much?

Milan

on my computer, resistor.wr l (one color without color stripes) is 20kB, but a nice and realistic shape can grow... .wrl files are in ascii format, so they can be large for a realistic and beautifull shape.

--

Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Maître de conférences
Directeur d'études 2ieme année.
Génie Electrique et Informatique Industrielle 2
Institut Universitaire de Technologie 1 de Grenoble
BP 67, 38402 St Martin d'Heres Cedex

Recherche :
GIPSA-LIS - INPG
46, Avenue Félix Viallet