Re: Re: Compilation with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

Danilo Uccelli wrote:
> 2008/8/27 David <mailings@...>:
>> Please ignore Dick's post.
>>
>> Kicad needs all the help it can get if it is to be succesful and be
>> on par with commercial packages - and any extra development platforms
>> supported are a bonus.
>>
>> So thanks for the effort - keep it up!
>>
>> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "manneveru" <manveru@...> wrote:
>>> Ekhm... I feel offended a little... Visual C++ is a compiler good as
>>> any other may be. But if don't like it...
>>>
>>> I am currently working on building Windows version by mingw in
>>> simplest possible way (less steps than current "manual" put in
>> readme)
>>> and without MSYS.
>>>
>>> Michal

>> is
>>> tweaks).
>> So I am
>> solves
>> (well

>> 2B%2B/
>>>>>

> Hello the group,
>
> OK, Dick has been a few rough...;-)

I agree with Dick on principal. Although I'm not sure I would have put
it quite the way he did. Using proprietary tools to develop open source
software projects can be risky. Remember the Linux kernel/Bitkeeper
fiasco. Linus and the kernel team had write a new VCS to replace
Bitkeeper. Think of the amount of resources diverted from kernel
development to develop GIT. Although, maybe that was a good thing. GIT
is a superb, albeit a bit complex, VCS.

> But in my opinion, it is important that an open source program like
> Kicad remain compilable with open source tools.
>
> Visual C++ Express, even if it is free, it is not open source and nor
> it is multi platform.

You might want to take a look at the license for DialogBlocks
<http://www.anthemion.co.uk/dialogblocks/faq.htm#license> that is used
to layout most of the dialog boxes in Kicad. It is neither open source
or free as in beer. I did a quick grep of some of the dialog sources
managed by DialogBlocks and they were all created with an unregistered
(demo) version of DialogBlocks. So even if there is an agreement
(verbal or written) between the Kicad project and the developer of
DialogBlocks, it can change at any time and require nearly all of the
dialog boxes to be rewritten.

Wayne