Re: Compilation with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Alain M." <alainm@...> wrote:

> I also see that your contribution including Visial C++ is important,
but
> only because lots of peple like you think it is. There is no tecnical
> advantage in that, GCC is probably a better compiler.

MinGW current problem is that it does not have efficient support, at
least I don't see any major moves from over a year now.

> On the other hand, I don't understand why you try so hard to avoid
MSYS,
> it has colst a lot of people a lot of effort just to make things
easy in
> Windows.

MSYS is nice somehow, but it is a patch to that what Windows creators
do not want to put inside. For me portable app should be as native as
possible (without stupidity), even on building conditions. Maybe for
others MSYS is fine.

> I agree that the build documentation of Kicad is very bad, but then you
> could focus on that, but do it the "normal" way, or it will no be used
> much...
>
> just my 3c,
> Alain
> PS: I also had a lot of trouble to build for Linux, due to the
confusing
> build docs :(

I want to correct plenty things in CMake configuration to make the
build process simpler, I think even under Linux. I will try to check
this under virtual environment.

I am Linux fan, but I am still using Windows for plenty idiotic
reasons. So until I use it I think I can help with Windows binaries.

Michal