Module position file

Is our file format for the menu choice "Post Process" | "Generate Modules Position" any kind of standard? (The *.pos files.) Are people relying on this file format to adhere to some standard? If it is our own format, then I would ask why we need a separate file for each side of the board. We have the column which says which layer the component is on, and I would prefer that there only be one file, not one for each side. The column is redundant or the 2nd file is redundant.

The nice thing about having a single file is it makes it easier to do a diff on the files generated from two revisions of the board. This can reduce the amount of work involved in reprogramming a pick and place machine as a result of a board spin.

What are others' thoughts?

Dick

Follow ups