Re: Re: Library work

--000e0cd0ebda4b76990466f1478b Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hello Kicad developers!
Congratulations on a very sucessful project!

I'm starting cold into KiCad after not having done much EDA in years, so I
have some observations:
I saw some of the issues mentioned in this thread, so I allow myself to
comment.
For example I find it difficult to find out how to :

1. change line thicknesses
2. move pin names and numbers
3. place other text items provided for the part

So here my suggestion, in order to make KiCad more intuitive it needs to
adhere to modern user interface standards, no?

That means being able to select items that then are being highlighted
differently for the time they are selected!

Or even better dynamic highligting, (in which just for having the mouse
pointer above a selectable item it shows its selectability by some form of
highlight) makes modern software so much easier to use!

I see a consistent interface where a right click asks the associated
selected object which methods can be applied to it is already partially
implemented! It just seems to be a problem to select every type of issue!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D A little Backg=
round =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

In my day job I'm a designer using Solidworks, just to explain my
perespective on things...

For those that dont do mechanical design, Solidworks is a Parametric
Modeler, that means sketches and features are utilizing parameters that are
open to change, and then everything that depends on these parameters tries
to change too!

I hope KiCad may some day be the first Parametric EDA, where schematics and
PCB's can be parametrically scaled, and circuit duplications and powerlevel=
etc could be parameterized even depending formulas...

But thats just a dream for a long term vision!

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes and also hoping I can help somehow!

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Frank Bennett <bennett78@...>w=
rote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Milan Hor=E1k <konference@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hallo,
> >
> > let's look on the specs, no offense:
> >
> I'm reposting my comments of a year ago (with an update at the end)
>
> Well, maybe I'm a dreamer as well but it would be nice to have
> a web site/service, funded & checked for accuracy by the parts
> suppliers, where you pick a part by manufacturing Part#, with
> pdf data sheet, place the symbol on the schematic, with a footprint
> reference for layout and get BOM info for pricing, by distributor
> part # so parts can be procurred while the board is being laid out.
>
> Ema-eda, Cadence, OrCad have started:
> http://www.ema-eda.com/products/other/emacadlibrary.aspx
> to keep you committed as a member of their tool set club.
>
> Nasa has a database of parts but no symbols or footprints:
> http://nepp.nasa.gov/npsl/
> that Intusoft claims to cross reference using XML:
> http://www.intusoft.com/nlhtm/nl70.htm#xmldatabaseforpcbfootprint
>
> Frank Frank, Accelerated Designs has a reasonably priced tool:
>
> http://www.accelerated-designs.com/(S(rdiy2e55jhfjh445nadheknd))/Standard=
s.aspx<http://www.accelerated-designs.com/%28S%28rdiy2e55jhfjh445nadheknd%2=
9%29/Standards.aspx>
> with a neutral database, a library manager with revision control,
> edit symbols/footprints then export to the PCB design package
> of choice. This would be real handy for Consultants that have to
> re-design boards across different EDA platforms, adding new parts,
> referencing/designing/importing symbols, footprints as their primary
> design function. Not sure if Frank Frank would share his database
> design, but he mentions the IPC-7351 standard.
>
> Update: There are footprints for National parts using Frank Frank's
> Data Base, however they are in a binary format.
>
> I mention this primarily as references for ideas. The world got
> into this mess from the history that schematic and PCB layout
> packages originated from separate proprietary (binary) sources.

--=20
Tobias Gogolin
Tel. Movistar (646) 124 32 82
Tel. Telcel (646) 160 58 99
skype: moontogo
messenger: usertogo@...

You develop Sustainable Ranch Technology at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SURA-TECH
an Open Source Electric Motor/Alternator at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Performance_Axial_Flux
 --000e0cd0ebda4b76990466f1478b Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hello Kicad developers!<br>Congratulations on a very sucessful project!<br>=
s, so I have some observations:<br>I saw some of the issues mentioned in th=
is thread, so I allow myself to comment.<br>
thicknesses
</li><li>move pin names and numbers
</li><li>place other text items provided for the part
</li></ol>
adhere to modern user interface standards, no?</p><p>That means being able=
to select items that then are being highlighted
ic
highligting, (in which just for having the mouse pointer above a selectable=
item
it shows its selectability by some form of highlight) makes modern software=
where a right click asks the associated selected object which methods
can be applied to it is already partially implemented! It just seems to be =
a problem to select every type of issue!</p><p>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D A little Background =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
to explain my perespective on things...</p>
eler, that means sketches and features are utilizing parameters that are op=
en to change, and then everything that depends on these parameters tries to=
change too!<br>
ics and PCB&#39;s can be parametrically scaled, and circuit duplications an=
d powerlevels etc could be parameterized even depending formulas...</p>
iv class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Frank Bennett <sp=
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bennett78@...";>bennett78@l=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div class=3D"im"=
>--- In <a href=3D"mailto:kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>kicad-devel@yahoogro=
ups.com</a>, Milan Hor=E1k &lt;konference@...&gt; wrote:<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Hallo,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; let&#39;s look on the specs, no offense:<br>
&gt;<br>
d)<br>
Well, maybe I&#39;m a dreamer as well but it would be nice to have<br>
a web site/service, funded &amp; checked for accuracy by the parts<br>
suppliers, where you pick a part by manufacturing Part#, with<br>
pdf data sheet, place the symbol on the schematic, with a footprint<br>
reference for layout and get BOM info for pricing, by distributor<br>
part # so parts can be procurred while the board is being laid out.<br>
Ema-eda, Cadence, OrCad have started:<br>
=3D"_blank">http://www.ema-eda.com/products/other/emacadlibrary.aspx</a><br=

to keep you committed as a member of their tool set club.<br>
Nasa has a database of parts but no symbols or footprints:<br>
ov/npsl/</a><br>
that Intusoft claims to cross reference using XML:<br>
t" target=3D"_blank">http://www.intusoft.com/nlhtm/nl70.htm#xmldatabaseforp=
cbfootprint</a><br>
Frank Frank, Accelerated Designs has a reasonably priced tool:<br>
nd%29%29/Standards.aspx" target=3D"_blank">http://www.accelerated-designs.c=
om/(S(rdiy2e55jhfjh445nadheknd))/Standards.aspx</a><br>
with a neutral database, a library manager with revision control,<br>
edit symbols/footprints then export to the PCB design package<br>
of choice. This would be real handy for Consultants that have to<br>
re-design boards across different EDA platforms, adding new parts,<br>
referencing/designing/importing symbols, footprints as their primary<br>
design function. Not sure if Frank Frank would share his database<br>
design, but he mentions the IPC-7351 standard.<br>
Update: There are footprints for National parts using Frank Frank&#39;s<br>
Data Base, however they are in a binary format.<br>
I mention this primarily as references for ideas. The world got<br>
into this mess from the history that schematic and PCB layout<br>
packages originated from separate proprietary (binary) sources.<br>
&lt;*&gt; Your email settings:<br>
=A0 =A0Individual Email | Traditional<br>
&lt;*&gt; To change settings online go to:<br>
=A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-devel/join"; target=
=A0 =A0(Yahoo! ID required)<br>
&lt;*&gt; To change settings via email:<br>
=A0 =A0mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:kicad-devel-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>kicad-=
devel-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a><br>
=A0 =A0mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:kicad-devel-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>=
kicad-devel-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a><br>
&lt;*&gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<br>
=A0 =A0<a href=3D"mailto:kicad-devel-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>kicad-de=
&lt;*&gt; Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:<br>
=A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"; target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><br>
e: moontogo<br>messenger: <a href=3D"mailto:usertogo@...";>usertogo@=
hotmail.com</a><br>