Re: Latest SVN commits.

Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
> Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>
>> No objections to your suggestions.
>>

> The only change that I suggested that I though might cause some issues
> was the UI changes. The rest of it was getting the code base cleaned up
> and simplified which makes life easier for developers. I really would
> like to see Kicad use some of the higher level wxWidgets classes such as
> the document and view classes. There is some nice undo/redo support
> already built in to wxWidgets but the current Kicad design makes using
> it nearly impossible. I think this is one of the features Kicad really
> needs as far as the end user is concerned.
>

>> It can be frustrating when changes a person makes are reversed out, so I
>> think seeking agreement is wise. It might eliminate some frustration.
>>

> I remember seeing the button text colors finding their way back into the
> annotation dialog and thinking why did I waste my time. You have some
> experience in this area as well if I am not mistaken.
>

>> However, folks forget, and make mistakes. But I think with an agreement
>> in place you can catch somebody breaking it earlier than later. :)
>>

> That was my goal was to inform everyone the changes I see as a way for
> Kicad to continue to move forward. I figure if I don't get too many
> objections in the next few days, I'll start moving ahead with them.
>

>> Thanks for all your work!
>>

> You are certainly welcome.
>
> Wayne

I had some problems with my mail. Its works now!
Dick wrote exactly what i am thinking.

Kicad code must be cleaned and enhanced.
There is a lot of legacy code due to kicad history:
written in C for dos, eeschema and pcbnew started as 2 different pieces
of software (eeschema started from a schematic found on internet, after
starting pcbnew from scratch)
Rewritten to run under Windows and Linux.
Rewritten to use wxWindows 1.6 (formerly wxWidgets) and C++ and modified
to use wxWidgets 2 ...
And has a lot of workaround to handle a *lot* of bugs in early versions
of wxWidgets.
Fortunately, now wxWidgets is mature and powerful, and now complementary
tools exist to help us (wxFormBuilder for dialogs building),
So Kicad can now uses all wxWidgets features.

Because there is now also a lot of files in eeschema and pcbnew
directories, i am thinking also to a slight change inside these directories:
In each directory, create a sub directory like "dialogs", and move all
dialog files in this new sub directory.
(Could be also made for "class_xxx" files).
Common pcbnew files could be also moved from pcbnew to a specific directory.

Also,thanks for all your work!

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Maître de conférences
Directeur d'études 2ieme année.
Génie Electrique et Informatique Industrielle 2
Institut Universitaire de Technologie 1 de Grenoble
BP 67, 38402 St Martin d'Heres Cedex

Recherche :
GIPSA-LAB - INPG
Rue de la Houille Blanche
38400 Saint Martin d'Heres

--------------020508020408070004060807 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

<head>
</head>
Wayne Stambaugh a &eacute;crit&nbsp;:
<pre wrap="">Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">No objections to your suggestions.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
The only change that I suggested that I though might cause some issues
was the UI changes. The rest of it was getting the code base cleaned up
and simplified which makes life easier for developers. I really would
like to see Kicad use some of the higher level wxWidgets classes such as
the document and view classes. There is some nice undo/redo support
already built in to wxWidgets but the current Kicad design makes using
it nearly impossible. I think this is one of the features Kicad really
needs as far as the end user is concerned.

</pre>
<pre wrap="">It can be frustrating when changes a person makes are reversed out, so I
think seeking agreement is wise. It might eliminate some frustration.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
I remember seeing the button text colors finding their way back into the
annotation dialog and thinking why did I waste my time. You have some
experience in this area as well if I am not mistaken.

</pre>
<pre wrap="">However, folks forget, and make mistakes. But I think with an agreement
in place you can catch somebody breaking it earlier than later. :)
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
That was my goal was to inform everyone the changes I see as a way for
Kicad to continue to move forward. I figure if I don't get too many
objections in the next few days, I'll start moving ahead with them.

</pre>
<pre wrap="">Thanks for all your work!
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
You are certainly welcome.

Wayne
</pre>
I had some problems with my mail. Its works now!<br>
Dick wrote exactly what i am thinking.<br>
Kicad code must be cleaned and enhanced.<br>
There is a lot of legacy code due to kicad history:<br>
written in C for dos, eeschema and pcbnew started as 2 different pieces
of software (eeschema started from a schematic found on internet, after
starting pcbnew from scratch)<br>
Rewritten to run under Windows and Linux.<br>
Rewritten to use wxWindows 1.6 (formerly wxWidgets) and C++ and
modified to use wxWidgets 2 ...<br>
And has a lot of workaround to handle a *lot* of bugs in early versions
of wxWidgets.<br>
Fortunately, now wxWidgets is mature and powerful, and now
complementary tools exist to help us (wxFormBuilder for dialogs
building),<br>
So Kicad can now uses all wxWidgets features.<br>
Because there is now also a lot of files in eeschema and pcbnew
directories, i am thinking also to a slight change inside these
directories:<br>
In each directory, create a sub directory like "dialogs", and move all
dialog files in this new sub directory.<br>
(Could be also made for "class_xxx" files).<br>
Common pcbnew files could be also moved from pcbnew to a specific
directory.<br>
Also,thanks for all your work!<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Ma&icirc;tre de conf&eacute;rences
Directeur d'&eacute;tudes 2ieme ann&eacute;e.
G&eacute;nie Electrique et Informatique Industrielle 2