kicad-developers team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: Layers visibility [1 Attachment]
"Ing. Gabriele Oberhammer" <gabriele@...>
Mon, 01 Jun 2009 13:08:11 +0200
Thunderbird 22.214.171.124 (X11/20090409)
Thanks for all the replays :-)
Based on all the replies considerations, what do you think about the following compromise?
- a slightly larger toolbar with two columns, see screenshot (note this is a mockup made
with wxFormBuilder, it's not working code!)
- only the available layers are visible on the toolbar
- with the first columns you select the current working layer (obviosly only one layer can
be selected at the same time).
Using a toggle button makes it easy to see which is the current layer.
- with the second column, made of check boxes, you choose if the layer is currently
visible or not (obviously an hidden layer cannot become the current working layer)
- with a right click on a layer button, you can bring up a popup menu with several options:
'Edit name...' which opens a dialog for....(suspense...)... changing the layer name
'Edit color..' " " " " " color
(Maybe the color could be selected with a ColourPickerCtrl)
'Change button position' which allows to move the button to another position on the
toolbar (the position will be saved with preferences)
- on the bottom of the bar, there is an 'Undock' button. Pressing this button hides the
LyersToolbar and opens up a *modeless* version of it which can be moved anywhere (even on
Or insted we can label the button 'Switch to advanced mode' (or anything similar) and
display a new version of the 'Pcbnew Layers color' dialog, enhanced with controls for all
the functions present on the tollbar popup menu, so you can select them immediately
without right-clicking anywhere.
....mmm, maybe this is a better idea, because on this 'advanced' dialog we could also
choose which technical/other layers will be present in the 'docked' LayersToolbar
- remove the layer selection drop-down menu
I know that simulating the docking/undocking mechanism is not elegant, but I guess this is
the only multiplatform compatible solution without switching to wxAUI.
Moving to wxAUI will be a really big improovment for UI usability, but I guess this would
need a huge kicad UI rework.
Again, best regards :-)
--------------060903060200080603080904 Content-Type: image/png;
[Attachment content not displayed.] --------------060903060200080603080904--