kicad-developers team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: Layers visibility [1 Attachment]
Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...>
Mon, 01 Jun 2009 08:35:33 -0500
Thunderbird 22.214.171.124 (X11/20090318)
Ing. Gabriele Oberhammer wrote:
I'm glad to see you and others are still in brain storm mode. To review
Thanks for all the replays :-)
Based on all the replies considerations, what do you think about the following compromise?
- a slightly larger toolbar with two columns, see screenshot (note this is a mockup made
with wxFormBuilder, it's not working code!)
- only the available layers are visible on the toolbar
- with the first columns you select the current working layer (obviosly only one layer can
be selected at the same time).
Using a toggle button makes it easy to see which is the current layer.
- with the second column, made of check boxes, you choose if the layer is currently
visible or not (obviously an hidden layer cannot become the current working layer)
- with a right click on a layer button, you can bring up a popup menu with several options:
'Edit name...' which opens a dialog for....(suspense...)... changing the layer name
'Edit color..' " " " " " color
(Maybe the color could be selected with a ColourPickerCtrl)
'Change button position' which allows to move the button to another position on the
toolbar (the position will be saved with preferences)
- on the bottom of the bar, there is an 'Undock' button. Pressing this button hides the
LyersToolbar and opens up a *modeless* version of it which can be moved anywhere (even on
Or insted we can label the button 'Switch to advanced mode' (or anything similar) and
display a new version of the 'Pcbnew Layers color' dialog, enhanced with controls for all
the functions present on the tollbar popup menu, so you can select them immediately
without right-clicking anywhere.
....mmm, maybe this is a better idea, because on this 'advanced' dialog we could also
choose which technical/other layers will be present in the 'docked' LayersToolbar
- remove the layer selection drop-down menu
I know that simulating the docking/undocking mechanism is not elegant, but I guess this is
the only multiplatform compatible solution without switching to wxAUI.
Moving to wxAUI will be a really big improovment for UI usability, but I guess this would
need a huge kicad UI rework.
Again, best regards :-)
1) all must know the steps of the brainstorm process and agree on which
step we are in.
2) during the first phase, it is important to not be critical of
suggestions, so as to not thwart creativity.
3) then after a number of ideas have been gathered, and all agree that
it is time, then the next step is to offer clarification of each idea as
needed by the submitter.
4) then after all ideas are exhausted, likes and dislikes are offered
for each suggestion and a final solution is chosen.
This is tough to do by email. But to jump in too early with criticism
can thwart creativity. I am happy to see that Gabriele is still brain
storming. It is her brain child, and I am happy to see that the few
judgments offered have not thwarted her creativity.
Please add "provide a type of layer" for copper layers, to the list of
layer functions I offered earlier.. If you look at the board files, you
can see I put a "copper layer type" in there in addition to the layer
names. The layer type is useful for the export to SPECCTRA. There are
only about 3 or 4 types as I recall. It would be nice to handle that
also in our design. Someday maybe PCBNEW can use the copper layer type
setting also. It is used by any specctra router so it can know which
layers are power planes.