Re: Generic Object Properties Dialog [1 Attachment]

Brian Sidebotham wrote:
Continuing on from the previous thread about a Layer Visibility
dialog, or tool palette I started taking a quick look at what would be
involved in a common object properties dialog. I created a quick
dialog, which is modeless and floats above PCBNEW. It is quick for
editing object positions, but that is about all it does at the moment!

I got stuck actually, or didn't really know which way to head. I
created a dialog using wxFormBuilder and I started adding wxPanels
with the hidden attribute set to true. The intention was to make them
visible when they are pertinent to the object type that is currently
selected. However, this seems to fail as the panel is simply displayed
at the top left of the dialog instead of part of the vertical sizer
layout. I will have to investigate. If I manage to fix that I will
generate a patch for anyone who wishes to have a look at it.

It would be very unusual to develop a dialog in this way. Normally you have to have a separate dialog window for each type of object that you want to inspect. It may be perceived as more work initially (and probably is not) but will be more maintainable over the long haul.

Dick