Re: Command ID refactoring.

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>
>>> Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

<< snipped >>

> Another way that I side step having to recompile more than what I am
> working on is to simply build a subset of the targets.
>
> e.g.
>
> cd debug/pcbnew
>
> $ make
>
> from debug/pcbnew only builds pcbnew
>
> or
>
> $ make help
>
> tells me what I can build from within debug/pcbnew
>
> some of the *.i or *.o targets can be helpful to simply get rid of a
> single file compilation problem.

Thanks for this bit of info. I never though of looking at the object
files for this kind of information. In the case of "id.h" the problem
is one of scope. Before my commit, "id.h" was over 870 lines. Now it
is 253 lines. Most of the IDs (about 2/3) were unique to a specific
application and not shared. It wasn't a case of including "id.h" where
it wasn't needed.

> or
>
> cd debug
>
> $ make pcbnew
>
> from the debug directory is what I mostly use when developing.
>
> And then I can run it from there with:
>
> $ pcbnew/pcbnew

I do this as well. But eventually I will have do a "make install" which
will rebuild all of the other project files that technically do not need
recompiled. It seems reasonable to me to not have every executable
rebuilt when I just want to add a new command to CVPcb. It also helps
out the folks doing nightly SVN builds for testing purposes. I know the
hard drives on my development systems are happy about the change;)