Re: Re: Library work and project librarian?

--0016e6dab54dcac856047530b6e6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

2009/10/5 Mateusz <komorkiewicz@...>

> Ok, but what other people think about web server database?
>
> All we need is to create a simple "package manager". Such program (or
> widget) should contain of simple ftp client (there is a wxFtp class in
> wxWidgets) + a tree view (wxTreeCtrl) to allow user select/deselect
> installed libraries + "upload my library" button.
>
> It would download a list of available libraries from ftp server (this list
> can also contain additional information like company,type,speed etc.). Parse
> it and compare with a list of locally stored libraries. The result of this
> comparison should be presented in list view with checkboxes (wxTreeCtrl).
> User chooses what he wants to add/remove. Then ftp client downloads
> requested libraries. That is all. Simple enough!
>
> --- I

In my opinion is not simple as FTP is not enough to manage such server
library. With your idea I can imagine how avarage user can quickly do a mess
with its libraries and 200 files get by FTP to "local repository". I am
assuming much more complex "tool" to search for parts and download them on
demand to KiCAD, if they are not present there by default (from
installation) or they were downloaded earlier. The similar interface should
exist in KiCAD application itself and on the web page of the "server
project". This may allow users review or search libraries without KiCAD even
downloaded on the HDD.
--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@...

pan><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid r=
gb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

left;">

ase?<br>
All we need is to create a simple &quot;package manager&quot;. Such program=
(or widget) should contain of simple ftp client (there is a wxFtp class in=
wxWidgets) + a tree view (wxTreeCtrl) to allow user select/deselect instal=
led libraries + &quot;upload my library&quot; button.<br>

It would download a list of available libraries from ftp server (this list =
can also contain additional information like company,type,speed etc.). Pars=
e it and compare with a list of locally stored libraries. The result of thi=
s comparison should be presented in list view with checkboxes (wxTreeCtrl).=
User chooses what he wants to add/remove. Then ftp client downloads reques=
ted libraries. That is all. Simple enough!<br>

=09
=09

=09

=09
=09
=09
=09
=09

is not enough to manage such server library. With your idea I can imagine =
how avarage user can quickly do a mess with its libraries and 200 files get=
by FTP to &quot;local repository&quot;. I am assuming much more complex &q=
uot;tool&quot; to search for parts and download them on demand to KiCAD, if=
they are not present there by default (from installation) or they were dow=
nloaded earlier. The similar interface should exist in KiCAD application it=
self and on the web page of the &quot;server project&quot;. This may allow =
users review or search libraries without KiCAD even downloaded on the HDD.<=
br>
 --0016e6dab54dcac856047530b6e6--