Re: pcbnew very slow under some X11 machines

Jonas Diemer wrote:
Hi,

thanks for your reply (sorry for the late response).

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Vesa Solonen <vsolonen@...> wrote:

> Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas how to fix/debug this?

Are you running composited desktop? If you turn composition off you should
be ok...

I tried this by adding

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

to my xorg.conf, but pcbnew has not become more responsive, so that did not fix it... Any other ideas? How far is that new drawing method?

There's been no consensus reached, and even it there was a consensus, it would be a major rewrite, enough to justify a completely new repo branch.

I think we need to start by asking this question: "Is this problem specific to Kicad or is it general to wxWidgets?"

If Kicad specific, then please tell us where in our code we are doing something different than what is intended by the wxWidgets library developers. If instead it is general to wxWidgets, then please tell us what their roadmap is towards fixing the problem. (Even if that road map looks like a dot in the mud.)

Thanks,

Dick