Re: Bug 2870835 Patch - Inconsistent Label Direction

Brian Sidebotham wrote:
2009/10/27 Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@...>:

Hi Guys,

Please find attached two screenshots showing the inconsistent label
directions between normal labels and global labels, and a patch to fix
this problem.

Hmm, I've been looking at this but I can't really see a way of
supporting this without breaking previous schematics.

Has anyone got any suggestions about how to do this change without
breaking old schematics?

Have you approached the issue from the perspective of:

a schematic conversion is done at time of first load, and the converted schematic uses an altogether new representation, such as a word vs. what was formerly a number or single character?

The schematic loader then has to be able to recognize either of these representations for awhile.

And when saving you use the new represenation. This does not break old schematics, which everyone probably agrees we should never do.

I have not spent any time on this, but it is a general idea that might be helpful. As these file formats evolve, we are trying to get them to be more self documenting anyway.

Dick