Re: wxDC zoom break through.

Torsten Hüter wrote:
Hi Dick,

You can't easily compile it on MinGW, that's why Jean-Pierre has not

used it (compare the older discussion about this topic).

With compiling, in my experience, I've noticed that the first time is the hardest, after the first successful compilation it gets much easier. And one person can benefit from another's work here.

Like Wayne has already written, it works with some tricks - but it's not ideal in my opinion. I'm wondering why they don't use Cairo for Windows.

It's too early to reach any conclusions about the value of wxGraphicsContext. But Wayne will soon be in a position to offer an informed opinion. IMO, the value of wxGraphicsContext does not come from its speed or lack thereof. On my machine I doubt there will be any speed difference at all.

Of course that's true - that's why I've written that a benchmark is needed. Also - as I've mentioned - there is a huge speed difference (wxDC) between Windows 7 and Linux, I'd assume at minimum factor 5. The video board is a good reference for comparision. On the other side, the question is, if it's not even easier to use specialized libraries (like Cairo) directly. I'd choose the most effective tool and keep it open (with an abstraction layer).

You missed my point, and it was an important one:

"The contributors cannot be expected to spend more money targeting hardware that is obsolete, when the owners of that obsolete hardware can solve their problem simply by also contributing monetarily to their own happiness." (Read that carefully again.)

Well, I know your point, but I don't totally agree with it. Usually the wishes of the consumers are much more important than what the developer likes.

Define "important" please.

What is important is: lines of code. And if you cannot see by now that lines of code come from corporate contributors, I will try again, one last time.

I am curious about a couple of things:

1) what code have you contributed to Kicad that was not for your own benefit and driven by your own needs? Or asked differently, what code have you contributed to Kicad which was motiviated 100 % selflessly, and was code for which you had no need? (If the user is more important than what the developer likes, then it seems you should simply stand ready at you computer answering email and writing code for others, not for yourself.)

2) Do you write code while on company time?

3) When working on company time, are you working for free? i.e. do you tell your employer, don't pay me while I work on Kicad?

4) if 2) is a yes, and 3) is a no, then who is paying for the contributions to Kicad?

=> If 2) is a yes, and 3) is a no, then you are precisely the kind of contributor that we want and need for Kicad.

This old man thinks he understands economics. Maybe he is a fool.

I guess your licensing concern cannot be articulated?