Re: wxDC zoom break through.

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

My counter points below pertained only to the economics of an opensource project. This thing economic miracle that we can an "opensource project", is an economic entity with special dynamics and motivations, fully UNLIKE how a commercial software product needs to be managed.

In my business, the customer is king.

Dick

Well, I know your point, but I don't totally agree with it. Usually the wishes of the consumers are much more important than what the developer likes.

Define "important" please.

What is important is: lines of code. And if you cannot see by now that lines of code come from corporate contributors, I will try again, one last time.

I am curious about a couple of things:

1) what code have you contributed to Kicad that was not for your own benefit and driven by your own needs? Or asked differently, what code have you contributed to Kicad which was motiviated 100 % selflessly, and was code for which you had no need? (If the user is more important than what the developer likes, then it seems you should simply stand ready at you computer answering email and writing code for others, not for yourself.)

2) Do you write code while on company time?

3) When working on company time, are you working for free? i.e. do you tell your employer, don't pay me while I work on Kicad?

4) if 2) is a yes, and 3) is a no, then who is paying for the contributions to Kicad?

=> If 2) is a yes, and 3) is a no, then you are precisely the kind of contributor that we want and need for Kicad.

This old man thinks he understands economics. Maybe he is a fool.

I guess your licensing concern cannot be articulated?