kicad-developers team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: Library Repository
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:24:58 -0000
--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Manveru <manveru@...> wrote:
> Despiting general discussion about symbols and library I suggest to publish
> your efforts on the following wiki page:
> It is good place to boast your work :-) You can always put an remark on what
> you are currently working on, to not double your work.
> jabber: manveru@...
> gg: 1624001
Dear all librarians,
After reading this thread, I think we need a brainstorm. This is what i cansummarize:
1. A central place to collect our work.
2. A new mailing list.
3. A convenient way to review each other's libraries.
Here is my opinion:
1. We can use launchpad as a central repository. Everyone can have his/her branch to collect their work. When all work is ready, we can collect them and set as the main trunk.
2. We can also use launchpad as a new mailing list for new library development. Moving to launchpad has been talking for quite a while. I dont see anyreason why shouldn't we move. Am i missing something?
3. Manveru suggested we can use wiki to collect image of drawings. This seems to be good at start. But when the number of drawing get larger, it can be problematic. What i suggest is, according to (1), a librarian can checkout any branch (any librarian's work) from launchpad and review it locally using library editor (instead of viewing captured images). Reviewer can go tothe librarian's branch and make any comment/suggestion.
Note: If we can have a conclusion whether the library's directory looks like(if we need a new structure), we can merge all work to the main trunk instantly. what benefit we can have is that only single main branch where all old/new approved librarians can 'checkout' and edit what they like.
This is my 2 cents.